Thursday, May 26, 2016

Spoiler: The Rose and The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh

As mentioned in the review, this book was read during a pretty busy period of life, please excuse the scatter brain thoughts below.

So this is one of the only books I think I've read that is a part of duology. Now if you're like me, you're sitting there wondering who came up with this fantastic system to help describe a series, and I have no answers for you. But what I can say, is that it definitely worked for the story of The Wrath and The Dawn series. The two books fit together perfectly and although I am a fan of the first book, and believe the second to have taken a slight slump, I see them completed as a whole. They are told beautifully from many perspectives and in a unique setting. The descriptions were complex and beautiful, introducing uncommon aspects and describing them to readers who are willing to imagine.
These books had a great set of characters, although I found the second book to be hard to follow with the bouncing between characters. This being said, it was exactly what held the book together.

The story all in all wraps up with a great epilogue about the future and give the readers the perfect amount of answers, in my opinion.

The Characters:
Shazi: So Shazi became quite the powerhouse. Although her quick wit and stubbornness are what helped me enjoy her character. She would give all for those she loves and her character proves this time and time again. This being said, I found that Shazi in this book was a little less of a kick ass person in the first half. Having to live in a camp with your husbands enemies can do that to a girl. I do enjoy the ending of this story and how smart she is about her time in the dungeon. She is a wise character and while her temper is something else, I think that she was written perfectly. And the use of power with all this. Lovely!

Tariq: I'm the worst for saying this but Tariq needed to let Shazi go so badly. He was clearly hurting himself and Shazi, by acting as though he could change how she felt. Although he is stubborn he is not stubborn enough to change the feelings of another. But at the end it sounds like he was able to find someone to occupy his time, so that's good.

Khalid: He changed the first time we saw him. Back to the weary character he was in the first half of the story, but as time progresses we see his love for Shazi grow. We also know that he would do anything for his people, and those close to him. I enjoyed seeing him go to work to rebuild the city. That was a side of him I had never seen and I was intrigued by how people reacted to him. Also that army strategy though. Way to kick so a**.

Despina: I may have closed my book when we are reintroduced to Despina as a different person.  I was shocked and yet not so much that I was surprised. Although her acting skills are something else. She was able to find a way to save Shazi which I was excited to hear, but I'm curious about how she came to live in the castle with her not so husband husband.

Rahim: Hitting me right in the heart. What a great man, filled with honour and love for those around him. The loyalty though.

Irsa: I was glad that she was more of a part of this novel, because anyone with a sister knows that they are never far when you need them, but also when you don't. It was only a matter of time for her to appear. I enjoyed the description of how quiet and easy going she was and seeing the growth of her character being able to speak what she wanted. 

Moments to Remember:
Final Line: "'Then we begin with the first tale... 'Haroun and the Magic Carpet.'"

Thanks for reading,
Love,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment