Saturday, July 22, 2017

Book Review: The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid


26836910

Title: The Diabolic
Author: S.J. Kincaid
Series/Standalone: The Diabolic (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Pages: 416
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2016
Format: Physical Hardback (Own It)
First Line: "Everyone believed Diabolics were fearless, but in my earliest years, all I knew was fear."

"Nemesis is a Diabolic. Created to protect a galactic Senator's daughter, Sidonia. There's no one Nemesis wouldn't kill to keep her safe. But when the power-mad Emperor summons Sidonia to the galactic court as a hostage, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia.

She must become her.

Now one of the galaxy's most dangerous weapons is masquerading in a world of corruption and Nemesis has to hide her true abilities or risk everything. As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns that there is something stronger than her deadly force; the one thing she's been told she doesn't have- humanity. And, amidst all the danger, action and intrigue, her humanity might be the only thing that can save her Sidonia, and the entire Empire."

My Rating: 3.75/5

I know that I thought I'd never give a funky star rating like this but I've grown as a person. I thought that this book was really interesting. The premise was really interesting to me. The idea of using genetically modified humans for different purposes is something that frightens me but also makes me curious about the future. I think that this author did an interesting thing by starting the story in the "breeding corrals" (I'm shuddering just having to type that). I also enjoyed the political aspect of this story. But in between that this story did a lot of info dumping and I just wasn't enjoying that part of the story. It was a lot to remember and a lot to put into a first book. I also thought that this book did a strange thing with pacing. I felt like no time had passed, but in reality, the book took place over quite a long period of time. So overall I enjoyed the idea and the characters, but the execution just fell a little tiny bit flat for me. That being said, I'm curious about the next book in the series that comes out in October. So if I see it and still remember the majority of the story, I will probably pick it up.

Thanks for reading,
SIdny


No comments:

Post a Comment