Friday, August 3, 2018

Spoiler: Four Weeks, Five People by Jennifer Yu

I think that I explained my thoughts in the review about how this book probably would have been 5/5 stars if I had been in the right mindset. It was really promising to start but I found the potential romances to be slightly annoying. That being said I enjoyed the diversity of the characters and their illnesses. It wasn't stereotypical, as the characters were not miraculously cured. It really makes you think about the time it takes to feel better and how it isn't a forever cure in most cases. 

Characters:
Adam: He broke my heart into a million pieces. I understood how he felt so helpless and how he wanted to get better but wasn't able to do the follow through because the idea of being better was amazing, but the getting there was harder than expected. I would hope with time he would be able to recover.

Stella: I think that I related to her the most. The feeling of giving up and rationalizing whether recovering is even worth it. I'm viewed often as being the most pessimistic in my friend group.  Also, the way she reacted to those around her, she seemed callous but the more you got to know her the more you realized that she was too scared to become attached.

Clarissa: I was very interested in her perspective, especially since at the start of the story her OCD was influencing her life so negatively, but as I read, I was a little disappointed that it seemed her relationship with Ben is what really helped her. At the same time, I think that being around people who have similar conditions.

Ben: I was also curious about the way his emotions flowed. I was curious to see how that would pan out in the everyday world and continue to wonder about this.

Mason: This is something I think that was hard to swallow, his character flaws are actually mental illness symptoms.

Jessie: I'm not sure I agree with her tactics of breaking Stella out of her shell, but it seemed to work better for her than the hippie-dippie stuff. 

Josh: I think his hippie ways kind of made me happy. He really believed in what he was doing and that it would work to help these teens. 

Moments to Remember:

Final Line: "And maybe, for now, that's good enough for me."

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment