Sunday, August 30, 2026

Book Review: The Women by Kristin Hannah

Title: The Women
Author: Kristin Hannah
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Historical Fiction, Adult Fiction
Pages: 471
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Year Published: 2024
Format: Hardcover (Own It)

"Women can be heroes. When twenty-year-old nursing student Frances "Frankie" McGrath hears these words, it is a revelation. Raised in the sun-drenched, idyllic world of Southern California and sheltered by her conservative parents, she has always prided herself on doing the right thing. But in 1965, the world is changing, and she suddenly dares to imagine a different future for herself. When her brother ships out to serve in Vietnam, she joins the Army Nurse Corps and follows his path. 

As green and inexperienced as the men sent to Vietnam to fight, Frankie is overwhelmed by the chaos and destruction of war. Each day is a gamble of life and death, hope and betrayal; friendships run deep and can be shattered in an instant. In war, she meets- and becomes one of- the lucky, the brave, the broken and the lost.

But war is just the beginning for Frankie and her veteran friends. The real battle lies in coming home to a changed and divided America, to angry protestors, and to a country that wants to forget Vietnam.

The Women is the story of one woman gone to war, but it shines a light on all women who put themselves in harm's way and whose sacrifice and commitment to their country has too often been forgotten. A novel about deep friendships and bold patriotism, The Women is a richly drawn story with a memorable heroine whose idealism and courage under fire will come to define an era. "

My Rating: 4/5

As with any time I read Kristin Hannah, I am prepared for an emotional rollercoaster. Her way of writing historical fiction really reminds the reader that while we know the history, what was it really like for the people who lived it. Good, bad and ugly. This novel follows Frances, who goes to Vietnam after being inspired to be a hero, the first female hero from her family (as far as we know). As someone from a deeply patriotic family, she encounters other views, devastation and other factors of war that she might not have considered before heading in-country. Love, friendship and more play out both in-country and back home while we watch her return to a country that doesn't have the same love for veterans that it did in WW II or WW I. 
I don't think when I began reading this book that I understood that over half of the book takes place in America (both before and after Frankie's deployment). While important, I think that more detail of her time in-country may have helped me better understand the personal changes that Frankie experiences and give an even more stark contrast between the world she leaves and the world she reenters.  That being said it was a very informative book. I hadn't read much about the Vietnam War, as I am Canadian, and it isn't a subject touched on often here. 

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment