Saturday, April 12, 2014

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James



Title: Fifty Shades of Grey
Author: EL James
Series: Fifty Shades (Book #1)
Genre: Romance, Adult Fiction
Pages: 514
Publisher: Vintage Books
Year Published: 2011
First Line: “I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror.”

“When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and despite his enigmatic reserve, finds sheis desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too- but on his own terms.
Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success- his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family- Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.”

My Rating: 4.5/5

So my roommate convinced me to read this book and I’ll admit I was really sceptical of it. It just didn’t seem like something I would enjoy because I’m not a huge fan of romance books, but it definitely caught me by surprise.  I think that this book, while it is R-rated it isn’t just a sex book. It tells the story of Christian Grey who has a surprising amount of his depth in his life. Hidden pasts and the mystery of what they could be. I loved that part of this book. I want to know what caused the characters to become who they are. And I’ll admit the sex parts were good too. Ok not just good … and that is all. I think that this book is very adult so if you’re under 16 or incredibly shy about these things you probably shouldn’t read this or wouldn’t enjoy it as much. I give a ton of credit to EL James for making such a relatable main character. Look at me being able to type this book review without using any sexual terms or curse words. *bows to an imaginary audience* thank you, thank you!
THANK YOU EL JAMES FOR WRITING A NEW KIND OF ROMANCE NOVEL THAT GRABS THE READERS ATTENTION IMMDEDIATLEY.
Thanks for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment