Sunday, April 26, 2015

Book Review: Maplecroft by Cherie Priest



Title: Maplecroft
Author: Cherie Priest
ISBN:9780451466976
Series/Novel: The Borden Dispatches (Book #1)
Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Historical Fiction
Pages: 435
Publisher: Roc Trade
Year Published: 2014
First Line: “No one else is allowed in the cellar.”

“Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks, and when she saw what she had done, she gave her father forty-one…
The people of Fall River, Massachusetts, fear me. Perhaps rightfully so. I remain a suspect in the brutal deaths of my father and his second wife despite the verdict of innocence at my trial. With our inheritance, my sister, Emma, and I have taken up residence in Maplecroft, a mansion near the sea and far from gossip and scrutiny.
But it is not far enough for the affliction that possessed my parents. Their characters, their very souls, were consumed from within by something that left malevolent entities in their place. It originates from the ocean’s depths, plaguing the populace with tides of nightmares and madness.
This evil cannot hide from me. No matter what guise it assumes, I will be waiting for it. With an axe.”

My Rating: 3.5/5

This book has taken me a long while to finish (damn you college). I’ve been reading this book for far too long and since it’s the end of the year I’ve decided it’s about time to get my but in gear on free reading time. Who needs a beach body when you’ve got reading to prepare for!
This book is much different than I thought it would be. I assumed that the book would be closer to historical fiction; perhaps the madness that ensued after the murder had taken place. It didn’t cross my mind that this rendition would be so far fetched. That being said this book certainly had moments that intrigued me, whilst making my skin crawl.
Cherie Priest has an interesting imagination, and this book shows her writing talent. The fact that she was able to make me truly believe in things that are unthinkable shows that she has true talent.
I was intrigued by the characters as well as amazed at the way the story carried out. I never thought that this book would take so many twists and turns.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes thrillers with a mix of fantasy. This book touches on both of these genres.

Thanks for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment