Friday, November 24, 2017

Spoiler: The Darkest Lie by Pintip Dunn

This novel wasn't at all what I expected. When I'd heard of this book it had been described as a contemporary, which is the romance aspects I suppose it is. But other than that it's a sexual thriller. I don't know if that description makes sense to anyone but me. But here we go. Throughout this novel, we follow CeCe whose mother committed suicide after a student came forward stating that she had sex with him. Even after the mystery aspect is put out there this book does a strange thing where it switches between a love triangle and how bullied CeCe is mixed in with the idea that this suicide was likely a murder. It also seemed when reading the description that CeCe and Tabitha (her mother) were quite close but we see little evidence of this throughout the book itself. Needless to say, this wasn't my favourite book although I look forward to reading some of the authors other works. 

Characters:
CeCe: I think that while she was an interesting character to read from, she was very gullible at many plot points. As well as the fact that she seemed more interested half the time in boys than solving what happened to her mother. Ah to be a high school senior again...

Tabitha: For me, this was the most hard-hitting part of the book. It showed the things that her mother had kept from her daughter. Times of abuse, depression and the rumours that spread about her. I think that she was the most developed character throughout this story.

Sam: He was alright. He kinda had the whole Clark Kent thing going for him. Nerdy, but buff. I also appreciated that he wasn't willing to hurt everyone to get his story. I can admire that. 

Liam: Ok this is sick, but I wish that his backstory had been expanded on so we could learn more about the way his father treated him related to Tabitha and how he came to the idea to one-up his father. 

Tommy: Shows what a "small" rumour can actually do.


Memorable Moments:

Final Line: "Let them stare."


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment