Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Book Review: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

667460. sy475

Title: The Time Traveler's Wife
Author: Audrey Niffenegger
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Romance, Adult Fiction
Pages: 522
Publisher: Vintage Canada
Year Published: 2003
Format: Audiobook and Physical Copy (Own it)
First Line: "Clare: It's hard being left behind."

"When Henry meets Clare, he is twenty-eight and she is twenty. Henry has never met Clare before; Clare has known Henry since she was six. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. Henry and Clare's attempts to live normal lives are threatened by a force they can neither prevent nor control, making their passionate love story intensely moving and entirely unforgettable. The Time Traveler's Wife is a story of fate, hope and believe, and more than that, it's about the power of love to endure beyond the bounds of time."

My Rating: 1.5/5

I really enjoyed this movie in my teenage years. I loved it. I thought that it really showed starcrossed lovers and it broke my little heart. Now as an adult, after reading the book I see a lot of problems with this storyline. Especially in the book. The use of sex was horrible for me, I didn't think that it showed any female enjoyment, it appeared at random, and it was awkward and stilted. Not what you want from a romance book. There was also a ton of problematic stereotypes that are glossed over. I understand that this was written in 2003, but it was hard to read through all the same. That being said, the movie is still one that I enjoyed and the reason this got the rating it did was for nostalgia purposes. Overall, would not recommend. 

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment