Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Book Review: Odd One Out by Nic Stone

39848512
Title: Odd One Out
Author: Nic Stone
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, LGBT
Pages: 320
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2018
Format: Audiobook

"From the author of Dear Martin comes this exploration of old friendship, new crushes, and the path to self-discovery

Courtney "Coop" Cooper
Dumped. Again. And normally I wouldn't mind. But right now my best friend and source of solace, Jupiter Sanchez, is ignoring me to text some girl.

Rae Evelyn Chin
I assumed "new girl" would be synonymous with 'pariah,' but Jupiter and Courtney make me feel like I'm right where I belong. I also want to kiss him. And her. Which is perplexing.

Jupiter Charity-Sanchez
The only thing worse than losing the girl you love to a boy is losing her to your boy. That means losing him, too. I have to make a move....

One story.
Three sides.
No easy answers."

My Rating: 3.5/5

Before reading the authors notes I was worried that this book might be coming across in the wrong way, but after hearing what the author had to say about why she wrote this book, I began to understand. Labels may be useful for some, but consistently putting a label upon yourself, may also keep you in a box you're not sure you want to be in. This book had wonderful characters that were relatable and enjoyable to read from. While most of the book is about pining after someone, I was interested to see how each relationship would play out. The setting was a little bland, but the neighbour's aspect was fantastic. I was impressed with the author's ability to change voice so quickly for the different perspectives in the story and hope to read more by her soon.
 I will say that this book could be misinterpreted and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't anything that really shook me to my core. I could see how this could be a great book for people going through similar situations, as long as they understand that just because they are into someone it doesn't mean that someone has to be into them! That I can not stress enough.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment