Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Book Review: All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson

Title: All Boys Aren't Blue
Author: George M. Johnson
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Memoir, LGBT, Young Adult
Pages: 320
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Year Published: 2020
Format: Audiobook

"In a series of personal essays, prominent journalist and LGBTQIA+ activist George M. Johnson explores his childhood, adolescence, and college years in New Jersey and Virginia. From the memories of getting his teeth kicked out by bullies at age five, to flea marketing, this young-adult memoir weaves together with the trials and triumphs faced by Black queer boys.

Both a primer for teens eager to be allies as well as a reassuring testimony for young queer men of color, All Boys Aren't Blue covers topics such as gender identity, toxic masculinity, brotherhood, family, structural marginalization, consent, and Black joy. Johnson's emotionally frank style of writing will appeal directly to young adults."

My Rating: 4/5

I originally took out this book to be a better ally, but through reading it I couldn't help but think about how this book will impact my professional life as well. I work in childcare as an Early Childcare Educator, and I'm trying to work at reading books that help me to combat my own societal prejudices and to reflect on my practice with children. My goal is to make sure that all children in my care feel seen and accepted. This book is obviously more than that, but I really enjoyed it. I hope that people who are reading this are feeling seen, and heard. 

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment