Sunday, September 11, 2022

Book Review: We Were Dreamers by Simu Liu

Title: We Were Dreamers: An Immigrant Superhero Origin Story
Author: Simu Liu
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir
Pages: 320
Publisher: William Morrow
Year Published: 2022
Format: Audiobook

"Marvel's newest recruit shares his own inspiring and unexpected origin story, from China to the bright lights of Hollywood. An immigrant who battles everything from paternal expectations to cultural stereotypes, Simu Liu struggles to forge a path for himself, rising from the ashes of a failed accounting career (yes, you read that right) to become Shang-Chi."


My Rating: 3/5

I could have written the whole summary of this book from GoodReads, but then I feel like the whole book and its contents are given away. I did like this book, but I wasn't expecting it to end when it did. I think that Simu Liu brings up so many important social issues and has given a spotlight to those who can relate to his experiences as a second-generation family member. I'm glad I read it and the audiobook was read by the author which is always a great experience. 

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment