Sunday, November 2, 2014

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Series/Novel: Divergent Series (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Sci-fi
Pages: 487
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Year Published: 2011
First Line: “There is one mirror in my house.”

“One choice
Decides your friends
One choice
Defines your beliefs
One choice
Determines your loyalties- forever
One choice
Can transform you”

My Rating: 5/5

Let’s start with a summary. This book follows Beatrice/Tris through her test that will decide what life she will live. In a world that is very futuristic, there are 5 factions to live in. The factions define who you are as a person and what you value. I’ll leave it at that as I don’t want to spoil anything in the book review (spoiler below), but trust me it’s an interesting read.
This book has been on my TBR pile for quite sometime, and I finally got around to it. I’m very happy that I read this book because of how it ties in so many what ifs. It makes a reader question the future and what they believe in. That’s one of my favourite things about books like this. Not only are you transported to another world, but it makes you wonder what you would do in this world. Would you follow, or would you break free?
This book questions what followers are and helps you realize that we as humans each have our own values. It also made me question trust. Who I trust, why I trust them and what I trust them with was all put into question. I liked that, in a strange way. I liked that this book made me think.
I also feel for the characters and the scene that was painted was picture perfect in my mind. More details on that below.
THANK YOU VERONICA ROTH FOR QUESTIONING INTENTIONS!

Thank you for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment