Friday, June 15, 2018

Book Review: Scythe by Neal Shusterman


28954189
Title: Scythe
Author: Neal Shusterman
Series/Standalone: Arc of a Scythe (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Pages: 435
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2016
Format: Hardcover (Own It)
First Line: "We must, by law, keep a record of the innocents we kill."

"Thou shalt kill.

A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life- and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe- a role that neither wants. These teens must master the 'art' of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own."

My Rating: 3.5/5

I always thought that I had a similar taste to that of Puruse Project on booktube, but the more I read the more I find that my enjoyment of certain books and her enjoyment of these same books just does not line up. I think that the concept in this novel is interesting and what really holds the story together. The characters are interesting and I'm sure to have a background that we will learn more about in the coming books, that being said, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the plot points in the story. I also found with such a vast world to write in that the characters could have been more diverse (at least in sexuality, if you could live forever you might experiment at least a little). Overall I enjoyed the story, and by the end was reading rather quickly. I plan to continue the series and hope to post more reviews for this author's work soon.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment