Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Book Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon


18692431. sy475

Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Pages: 306
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2015
Format: Audiobook

"My disease is as rare as it is famous. It's a form of Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, but basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in fifteen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives. New next door neighbors. I look out the window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black- black t-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly. I want to learn everything about him, and I do. I learn that he is funny and fierce. I learn that his eyes are Atlantic Ocean- blue and that his vice is stealing silverware. I learn that when I talk to him, my whole world opens up, and I feel myself start to change- starting to want things. To want out of my bubble. To want everything, everything the world has to offer.

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster."

My Rating: 2.5/5

Again, I'm behind the curve. When I started to watch booktube, everyone was raving about Nicola Yoon's romances and her stories. I'd love to say that I was on board with everything that happened in this novel, but I just wasn't. I assumed how it was going to end about a quarter of the way through. I also found that the characters were lack luster and at some points different just to be different. I'm just not a fan of the writing style either. I just found that it was over the top in every romantic scene.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny



No comments:

Post a Comment