Sunday, February 16, 2020

Book Review: Wonder by RJ Palacio


11387515
Title: Wonder
Author: R.J Palacio
Series/Standalone: Wonder Series (Book #1)
Genre: Middle Grade, Contemporary
Pages: 315
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Year Published: 2012
Format: Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old kid."

"'I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.'

August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid- but his new classmates can't get past Auggie's extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Time bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie's point of view, but switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community's struggle with empathy, compassion and acceptance."

My Rating: 3.75/5

This book has touched a lot of people and made them think about their places in the world, as well as in other people's lives. I kind of knew what this story was about and some of the content matter, but I wasn't prepared for how brutal it got at some points. I enjoyed this story overall, I understand how it gained such traction and why so many middle schooler's read it. I just don't think it was for me 100% there were just some points that I thought could have been done better or actions could have been taken to tell more of his mother's story. That being said I enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone in middle school.  I'm excited to watch the movie adaptation as well. Anyone have a preference between the two?

Thanks for reading,

Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment