Sunday, December 20, 2020

Book Review: Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray

28960099. sy475

Title: Ten Thousand Skies Above You
Author: Claudia Gray
Series/Standalone: Firebird Series (Book #2)
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance
Pages: 448
Publisher: HarperTeen
Year Published: 2016
Format: Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "The first time I travelled to another dimension, I intended to take a life."


"Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse- even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions.

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul's soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she beings to question the destiny she thought they shared."

My Rating: 2.75/5

There is something about the middle book in the trilogy that never quit hits right for me. It is very rare that it will be my favourite in the series. And this, unfortunately, was no exception. I think that while this instalment was interesting it just didn't quite capture the higher stakes that were in the first one. I also found that the love interest in this instalment was almost more forced than heartwarming which I didn't anticipate after watching them fall in love in the first book. I think that the villains in this book though are the scariest aspects. The idea that people are willing to corrupt multiple dimensions for personal gain is a truly terrifying thought. The cliff hanger ending also interests me enough to continue with the series. I hope that I regain my overall enjoyment by the end of the trilogy.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment