Thursday, August 10, 2023

Book Review: I Don't Need Therapy (and other lies I've told myself) by Toni Lodge

Title I Don't Need Therapy (and other lies I've told myself)
Author: Toni Lodge
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Nonfiction, Adult, Memoir
Pages: 256
Publisher: Alien & Unwin
Year Published: 2023
Format: Audiobook

"A hilarious memoir of home truths and whatever the opposite of 'that girl energy' is, from one half of the hit podcast Toni and Ryan.

Most of us tell little white lies all the time. Whether it's 'I'm five minutes away' or 'it must have gone to my spam folder', most of these fibs are harmless. But what if you realised that you weren't just lying about the little things, but the big 'life' stuff too?

When Toni Lodge sat down to write this memoir, she discovered that the leis she was telling herself were hiding some pretty important home truths- about her work, her identity and her mental health. her dogged pursuit of these truths sent her on a brazen exploration of everything from gastro, fame and Twilight to funerals, the Dalai Lama and Brazillian waxes.

In this hilarious warm hug of a book, Toni exposes the lies she has told herself about who she is and what she is capable of, inviting you on a riotous from that will make you laugh, cringe, cry and utterly rethink the truth behind the stories we tell ourselves."

My Rating: 4/5

As I say every time I review a memoir or a nonfiction story, I do not rate the content of the book I usually rate the writing style. Let's begin by saying if you haven't seen any TikToks, or videos of Toni and Ryan you must be living under a rock! They are hilarious, open and amazing folks and while I'm newer to their podcast, the community they create is amazing. This book really hit home to me about a lot of the lies I tell myself, and how I could really use a mindset change. Toni is relatable, funny, gorgeous, smart and talented! The only reason this didn't receive 5/5 from me is the chapter breakdown. It just felt a little disjointed in my mind. I still would highly recommend it.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment