Friday, March 29, 2024

Book Review: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Title: The Song of Achilles
Author: Madeline Miller
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Adult Fiction, Retelling, Romance
Pages: 408
Publisher: HarperCollins
Year Published: 2011
Format: Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "My father was a king and the son of kings."

"Achilles, 'the best of all the Greeks,' son of the cruel sea goddess Thetis and the legendary king Peleus, is strong, swift and beautiful, irresistible to all who meet him. Patroclus is an awkward young prince, exiled from his homeland after an act of shocking violence. Brought together by chance, they forge an inseparable bond, despite risking the gods' wrath.

They are trained by the centaur Chiron in the art of war and medicine, but when word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped, all the heroes of Greece are called upon to lay siege to Troy in her name. Seduced by the promise of a glorious destiny. Achilles joins their cause, and torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus follows. Little do they know that the cruel Fates will test them both as never before and demand a terrible sacrifice."

My Rating: 4.25/5

I know, you see a rating like this and you think, "What does that even mean?" Let me explain. When I give a book 4.5/5 to me that means it just didn't quite feel like a 5, but it was so close. When I give a book this rating it means usually that it got so hyped to me that it was bound to have a bit of a letdown. I loved the writing, I loved the setting and the way the author retold the story, but I found portions of the story didn't capture my attention. I did start with the audiobook and I loved it (just didn't finish it before my loan was up). I would recommend obviously if you're a huge mythology fan, or if you are interested at all, but keep in mind that the hype can get to you.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment