Sunday, March 26, 2017

Spoiler: Shiny Broken Pieces by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton

So I freaking loved the first book in this duology which gave me such high hopes for the second book. I'm more than slightly disappointed I won't lie to you. It's just sad to see the character change so quickly to a point where I felt like I didn't even know who was talking each chapter if I didn't read the name on top of each chapter. I was just disappointed in the drama and the twists and turns. It was all just ok while the first book blew me away, this book just threw random things at me and I just wasn't into it. 

Characters:
Bette: She changed a lot since the first book and after being kicked out of school for being a massive ass hole. It's no wonder everyone thought that she pushed Gigi, look at what she did in the past to bother her. She went to far all the time. I was surprised to find out that she hadn't done all I thought she had.

June: I thought it was interesting to see how her eating disorder changed and continued throughout the year. It was important to show that a boy couldn't just "fix" her eating habits. She had to admit that she needed help and want to get it. She needed to want to live and to be healthy. I'm sure there would be more setbacks in real life, but I'm curious if people who have experienced an eating disorder could relate with this character. 

Gigi: I hated her. She wasn't the person I cheered for to get better. She completely changed which made sense but it got a little crazy. I think that her character was written about hastily in this book. Although I am very glad that she ended up with the apprenticeship in the end. Although her and Bette competing more scares me more than a little.

Cassie: She is taking revenge way to far. I would have been interested to see things from her perspective more regularly throughout this book as she was a key player in so much of the drama. 

Alec: I feel like he is so indecisive about Bette and Gigi. Chose one or the other or just get the hell out. Also, who doesn't talk to a significant other for months on end? Even just to fight more. It was too weird for me.

Sen-Jin: Crazy to see her change as well. Too much change for me to be honest.

Henri: He's an interesting character and I wonder how much he had to do with everything overall. Did he also influence Eleanor and others around him to mess with Gigi?

Eleanor: I was sorry to see what happened to her, but it's an interesting perspective to see a person in power with a student. I find this more and more in TV and books and it makes you wonder how accurate it is to the situation in real life. It's more than a little crazy to think about.


Moments to Remember:
Final Line: "'I"m sure it is, Bette, I"m sure it is.'"

 Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment