Sunday, March 26, 2017

Book Review: Shiny Broken Pieces by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton


27246856

Title: Shiny Broken Pieces
Author: Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton
Series/Standalone: Tiny Broken Pieces (Book #2)
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction
Pages: 384
Publisher: HarperTeen
Year Published: 2016
Format: Physical Copy- Hardcover
First Line: "Sometimes you want something so badly you're willing to do whatever it takes to get it."

"May the best dancer win.
June, Bette and Gigi have given their all to dance at Manhattan's most elite ballet school. Now they are competing one final time for a spot at the prestigious American Ballet Company. With the stakes higher than ever, these girls have everything to lose... and no one is playing nice.

Ever since June landed the starring role in last year's performance, she can finally see herself as a prima ballerina. Being the best means making sacrifices, though, and getting what she wants might cost June everything- including the only boy she's ever loved.

Legacy dancer Bette is determined to clear her name after she was suspended and accused of hurting her rival, Gigi. But even if she returns, will she ever regain the spotlight she craves? or has she tarnished the treasured family name forever?

Gigi endured a year of torment from Bette and other dancers who envied her success. It nearly ended her ballet career- and her life- and Gigi is not going to let them go unpunished. But as revenge consumes her. Gig may be the one who pays the price.

After years of grueling auditions, torn ribbons, and broken hearts, it all comes down to this last dance. Who will make the cut? And who will lose her dream forever?"


My Rating: 3.5/5

So I read the first book in the duology a while ago and I really enjoyed it. I thought that the drama and mystery were perfect and couldn't wait to get my hands on the next book. Such a guilty pleasure read. This second book had a lot to live up to and for me, it just didn't hit the mark. I understood why the characters had to change, but I just felt like I reading about a completely different cast of characters. I didn't find myself surprised by many of the twists and turns. I think that the lack of mystery really made this book difficult to get through. I would have liked to see more mysterious drama rather than so much solving. Overall I enjoyed this book. The world of ballet was still very interesting to me, and the final dance off was interesting to read about but I likely won't be rereading this duology. 

Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment