Sunday, September 2, 2018

Spoiler:Caraval by Stephanie Garber

This book was surprising to me. I wasn't a huge fan of the Night Circus and I knew that this had been compared to it (that being said I didn't hate the Night Circus it was just ok for me). But this book has a very different element than the Night Circus. We are a player in a mysterious tradition on a seemingly magical island. It also appears that the more we watched the story unfolding the more we saw how everyone was a freaking liar and a player. No one told the truth and did what they were expected to do. I enjoyed the setting and look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Characters:
Scarlett: I understood her need to leave her home, especially after seeing how manipulative and abusive her father was. But the idea of marrying someone who could be worse than her father was horrifying. I don't even want to think about that. I also think that she got a little in over her head during the "game" especially in her relationship with Julian. It was frustrating. I'm curious to see how their relationship plays out.

Tella: I'll be the first to admit that I underestimated her. I thought that she was more beauty than brains, but by the end of this first book, she proved to be daring and intelligent. She worked hard to get herself off the island and to save her sister. I worry about the note I read by the end of the book. What else could she owe and where in the world is her mother?

Julian: His character was frustrating to me. I wanted to love him, as I'm usually fans of mysterious seemingly bad boys who have a heart of gold. But I just couldn't get on board with their romance. The more Scarlett fell for him the more I felt like she was making a mistake. 

Legend: What is his deal and what really happened over the years of his performances? Why did he chose to be a great performer rather than have the love of his life?

Dante: Will we know his truth?

Marcello: He's deserved how everyone left him and he deserves to lose his fortune. He's rude and a terrible father.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment