Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Spoiler: Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick

So much to say about this series, I found these at my library and once I started reading them I had to read more and more. I ended up buying  this book as soon as it came out because I couldn’t wait any longer to see what the ending would be. This book was an interesting end to the series that’s for certain. The way that the chapters are written in themselves is amazing. Throughout the book you are changing form one character to another’s experiencing during this time. We move from Alex, Peter, Tom, Ellie, Chris and all the way back through. I must say that it impressed me that she could keep up with all of these, but at the same time it got a little confusing for me the reader, when I had to put down the book to get to work, I felt lost picking it back up. After I got over that, it was a good way to see what was going on in every aspect of the story. Something that has impressed me from the start was Ilsa J. Bick’s use of diction. Nothing like being able to visualize a story.

♥Characters:♥
Alex: A strong character who battles the odds again and again. She is constantly fighting something and it was good to see that she didn’t die in the second book. That’s always a lovely surprise. I feel like we got to see inside her head a lot more in this final instalment. What was going on with the monster. Not to mention how many boys were after her. Would be hard to choose between Chris, Wolf/Simon and Tom. I’m gonna say that she chose Tom in the end, but then it goes into the section about Wolf coming back and it confused me but maybe she’ll just try to install a reverse change in him. Make him go into the boy he was before the Zap. She is a good character, even though she’s been through so much, but I’m happy she wasn’t the only Point of View in this finally book.
Tom:  I have loved him from the start he just compliment Alex’s personality so well and he is a great mentor for Ellie. I cried when the were reunited. Finally after all this time. He is a sweetheart and although he obviously has post traumatic stress disorder, he is more than capable to handle the future that I imagine these characters have.
♥Chris: It was interesting to find out how he was raised and everything like that. How Jess had been with Yeager and that whole story came together beautifully. It was slightly confusing, but in the way that I feel like my brain has to do some work. (Well that was purely intellectual). I think he’d have a brighter future away from Tom, Ellie and Alex, but everyone needs a family and he lost his. Finally let’s just mention some crazy magic mushrooms have affected him in some pretty interesting way.
Ellie: She’s so young to be in such a tough time. I was surprised when she wanted to put Bella down herself, but she’s had to grow up fast in this situation. What choice did she have?  I love her and think that finding Tom was the best thing that could have happened for her. Now her, Alex, Tom and Chris can be a family (fingers crossed). Mina dying was another time I cried. I thought that dog would make it for sure.
Peter: He had to die, and that’s horrible to say, but I don’t think he would have ever recovered from what happened with Finn. It wasn’t only physically damaging, but as well as psychologically.
Finn: I have no doubt, that there is someone who is this twisted out there, but thinking about that makes my skin crawl. Pure EVIL!
Greg: He had so much responsibility. What were they thinking putting someone that age in charge? And when the first girl he ever kissed died, Torri, well that’s just a whole new batch of emotional pain.
There are so many other’s I could mention, but I only have so much room.

Moments to Remember♥:
♥Pg. 177
“’Okay, yeah, I’m not wild about the idea of waking up one morning with a hankering for a people-burger, but I can’t live every day waiting for the other shoe to drop.’”

♥Pg. 178
“’Don’t.’ Her eyes dodged back to her books. ‘Don’t be angry with me.’
 ‘Angry? Oh, Hannah.’ There was a short silence and then the heavy tread of his boots as he headed for the door. ‘I wish I could be, because that would be so much easier.’”

Pg. 199
“While Wolf might protect her, she didn’t think he’d take kindly to her whacking him with a crowbar.”

♥Pg. 326
“The only time anything like that happened with Wolf, when his scent shifted and became an aroma that was safety and family and desire, was around her. The only person to whom Wolf seemed truly attached and attracted, and for whom he would risk his life, was… her.
 Which was just so frigging great.”

♥Pg. 347
“She turned back to the animal. ‘Hey, boy, whatcha doing?’ she said, softly, knowing better. This was something poor, cranky, sweet little Ellie would’ve done: Hey, strange animal, come give me rabies.”

♥Pg.  445
Superhero reference. Thank you!

♥Pg. 649
“’Hey. Talk to me. What’s going on? This isn’t about Alex is it?’
 ‘Oh… no, I’m okay with that, this isn’t a dumb love triangle from a book or something.’”

♥Final Line: “And then Alex took a step back and waited with Buck, in fresh moonlight, to see what would happen next.”

Thanks for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I've become a big fan of the series but I won't be getting Monsters yet because I am yet to buy it, and I just can't wait to find out what happens and I was wondering if you could tell me how tom, Ellie and Alex meet x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a long this to tell in a comment. They all get seperated into different groups. Alex is with a group of Changed while Tom is with a group of kids that are being rounded up for experiments and Ellie is with a group of Amish kids. They end up intertwining at separate moments. I actual don't have my copy on me at the moment, but as soon as I can I'll try and find the spot for ya. Glad to hear I'm not the only one loving the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly I couldn't find the exact spot, I don't have a lot of time to reread through it unfortunately, but from what I remember those separate groups manage to meet up in Rule. And so they find each other. Sorry it's not very detailed. My suggestion is to run to a library or book store asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Chris end up with anyone??

    ReplyDelete