Monday, February 1, 2021

Book Review: The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta



 Title: The Black Flamingo
Author: Dean Atta
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Poetry, LGBT, Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 360
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Year Published: 2019
Format: Audiobook

"A boy comes to terms with his identity as a mixed-race gay teen- then at university he finds his wings as a drag artist, The Black Flamingo. A bold story about the power of embracing your uniqueness. Sometimes, we need to take charge, to stand up wearing pink feathers- to show ourselves to the world in bold colour."

My Rating: 3.5/5

This story follows Michael as he further discovers himself, and expands his view about who he wants to be. I really thought after reading the description that this story would focus more on the drag aspects, but it was far more about self-discovery. I enjoyed the writing style and the changes in dynamics between characters, but I will say that verse while beautiful was too much for me at some points. I just don't vibe well with poetry. I will read more from the author in the future and plan to find more books about entering the drag community as it is something that really interests me.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment