Thursday, February 4, 2021

Book Review: Naturally Tan by Tan France



 Title: Naturally Tan
Author: Tan France
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Nonfiction, Autobiography, LGBT
Pages: 304
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Year Published: 2019
Format: Audiobook

"In this heartfelt, funny, touching memoir, Tan France, star of Netflix's smash-hit QUEER EYE, tells his origin story for the first time. With his trademark wit, humor and radical compassion, Tan reveals what it was like to grow up gay in a traditional Muslim family, as one of the few people of color in Doncaster, England. He illuminates his winding journey of coming of age, finding his voice (and style!), and how he finally came out to his family at the age of 34, revealing that he was happily married to the love of his life-- a Mormon cowboy from Salt Lake City.

In Tan's own words, "The book is meant to spread joy, personal acceptance, and most of all understanding. Each of us is living our own private journey, and the more we know about each other, the healthier and happier the world will be."

My Rating: 2/5

I think I'm coming to realize that celebrity autobiographies/memoirs are not for me. I just find that they appear a bit performative and while they do touch on important topics, it's just not for me. That being said, Tan France speaks about growing up in a predominately white neighbourhood, racism, homophobia, religious beliefs, marriage, media diversity etc. Many important topics, I just didn't find that the audiobook did much for me. And that's fine, not every book is for everybody to get something from. So for me, this was just ok. 

Thanks for reading,

Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment