Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Book Review: The Duke & I by Julia Quinn

 Title: The Duke & I
Author: Julia Quinn
Series/Standalone: Bridgerton Series (Book #1)
Genre: Historical Romance, Adult
Pages: 384
Publisher: Avon Books
Year Published: 2000
Format: Audiobook

"The Duke and I is a romance set in the Regency era.

In the ballrooms and drawing rooms of Regency London, rules abound. From their earliest days, children of aristocrats learn how to address an earl and curtsey before a prince- while other dictates of the ton are unspoken yet universally understood. A proper duke should be imperious and aloof. A young, marriageable lady should be amiable... but not too amiable.

Daphne Bridgerton has always failed at the latter. The fourth of eight siblings in her close-knit family, she has formed friendships with the most eligible young men in London. Everyone likes Daphne for her kindness and wit. But no one truly desires her. She is simply too deduced honest for that, too unwilling to play the romantic games that captivate gentlemen.

Amiability is not a characteristic shared by Simon Basset, Duke of Hasting. Recently returned to England from abroad, eh intends to shun both marriage and society- just as his callous father shunned Simon throughout his painful childhood. Yet an encounter with his best friend's sister offers another option. If  Daphne agrees to a fake courtship, Simon can deter the mamas who parade their daughters before him. Daphne, meanwhile, will see her prospects and her reputation soar.

The plan works like a charm- at first. But amid the glittering, gossipy, cut-throat world of London's elite, there is only one certainty: love ignores every rule."

My Rating: 3.5/5

The same as the rest of the planet I have watched the first season of Bridgerton and to bridge the gap (see what I did there) between seasons I've decided to read the books after the coinciding season. This one was just ok for me. I really enjoyed seeing the characters in their original work, but I will say that I loved the antics in the show just a little bit more. I understand that there are many who find this book problematic and I won't argue with that. I will say that it was explained to me in a way that I thought that the scene would be more graphic than it was. But if you didn't like the conflicts in the show, I doubt you will enjoy that in the book.
I plan to continue the series on audio after finishing each coinciding season of the show.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment