Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Book Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Shadow and Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series/Standalone: The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy,
Pages: 358
Publisher: Square Fish
Year Published: 2012
Format: Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest, and because they haunted the Duke's house like giggling phantoms, darting in and out of the rooms., hiding in cupboards to eavesdrop, sneaking into the kitchen to setal the last of the summer peaches."

"Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn into two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life- a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secret of the Grisha... and the secrets of her heart."

My Rating: 4.75/5

This was such a refreshing read. It was exactly what I needed to read this month. It really reminded me of the Young Adult fantasy that I used to read when I was younger, and why I started writing out my thoughts in the first place. I have so many thoughts on the characters, and I'm intrigued by the world as well. The plot was intriguing and the twists were so fun. I also enjoyed reading about the atmosphere and the training aspects of the story. Most of all I'm interested in the history of the world, and where this plot is taking our characters. 
Will I be buying the whole box set? Absolutely.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment