Thursday, November 9, 2023

Book Review: Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

Title: Midnight for Charlie Bone
Author: Jenny Nimmo
Series/Standalone: The Children of the Red King (Book #1)
Genre: Fantasy, Middle Grade, Urban
Pages: 401
Publisher: Orchard Books
Year Published: 2002
Format: Audiobook (Own Paperback Copy)

"A magical fantasy that is fast-paced and easy-to-read. Charlie Bone has a special gift- he can hear people in photographs talking.

The fabulous powers of the Red King were passed down through his descendants, after turning up quite unexpectedly, in someone who had no idea where they came from this is what happened to Charlie Bone and to some of the children he met behind the grim, gray walls of Bloor's Academy.

His scheming aunts decide to send him to Bloor's Academy, a school for geniuses where he uses his gifts to discover the truth despite all the dangers that lie ahead."

My Rating: 5/5

I remember reading these when everyone else was reading Harry Potter and that's when I knew I was a hipster. I liked something before it was cool. I'm joking of course. I read these when I was 10, and rereading them fills some nostalgic holes for me. It is middle grade so any amount of mystery is obvious to me, a 28-year-old lady. But it's a fun read. I understand that people compare these to Harry Potter, but they have enough differences to make it its own unique story.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment