Thursday, September 19, 2013

Movie Book Comparison: The Hunger Games

I’ve only ever done one of these before so forgive me if I’m rusty. The Hunger Games series is the first book review and spoiler I had ever done (if you look it up you will be extremely disappointed, you’ve been warned). That first writing was when I feel in love with doing book reviews. Hell, I’m not the best at it, but I love reading and I want to bring reading back to the world. There is often times when a movie based on a book will catch my attention but as has happened in the past, but usually I am disappointed.
One thing I have learned though, is as an avid reader you have to realize that although most directors will try to do the best they can with what they can visually represent. I do get upset when certain important events (ok events important to me) get missed, cut or over looked.

I do think that the directors of the Hunger Games did a good job of adapting the book to a script, but there are things that they certainly missed. I think one of the things that made me the most upset is the fact that they cut the how Katniss actually gets the pin. In the book, she gets the pin from a girl who believed in her even though they were the richest of District 12 (another reason why she’s important, in the movie we don’t really understand that there is the Seam and then there is higher up District 12) we see that Katniss actually managed to make an impact on someone. Another things that didn’t impress me was that they didn’t explain the terrace. The terrace is the idea that you can put your name in multiple time for the means of food (oil and flour I do believe) to help get you through the year. This is why so many people don’t understand the conversation in the movie where Gale and Katniss are sitting before the Reaping where they ask each other how many times the others names are entered. A big spoiler next (you were warned) I found it odd that Peeta’s metal leg wasn’t shown at the end of the movie. During the sequel, Catching Fire, this injury plays a prominent part in his characters role. Hopefully they can find a way to recover from missing it in the first movie. I guess in my opinion these things are important and without them, the movie can’t quite do the book the justice it deserves. As well during the ending scenes, I felt that the dogs weren’t done quite right. In the books, they are made to look like the dead tributes. Which only makes the experience more frightening. How would you like to look in the eyes of someone you killed?

Ok I’m taking sides and I hate to break it to you but in most cases I will always say that the books are better than the movies. I’m sorry movie lovers, this may not always be the case. But if you ever ask me to I will give my opinion on a book vs movie comparison. 

Let’s not finish this comparison without seeing the other side. The movie did offer some greater insight to the idea of Panem and the capital. The idea that they really did dress so unusually is amplified in the movie and I love that! I loved seeing Effie and hearing her speak in her Capitol accent, especially how she used the actual quote from the reaping “Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be forever in your favour.” I think that actress did a fantastic job of playing Effie. That what felt the most realistic to me. I also loved the choice of other character, my favourite including Cinna, Haymitch and Rue. Although we don’t see a lot of Rue, she fit the way I had imagined her in my mind. I also enjoyed some of the suspense that the movie brought out, I feel that the music choice helped with that immensely. Especially during the ending scenes.

I am looking forward to watching the next Hunger Games movie coming out in November I believe. I think  that this movie will have to be a bit better than the first as it is close to a completely different cast, but I suppose we shall have to see.

Thank so much for reading my second ever movie book comparison.
Tell me your opinion below or email me at sweetgirlsid@hotmail.com
Love,
Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment