Monday, September 18, 2017

Book Review: The Diviners by Libba Bray


17899351
Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Series/Standalone: The Diviners Series (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Paranormal, Mystery
Pages: 578
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2012
Format: Paperback Copy (Own It)
First Line: "In a town house at a fashionable address on Manhattan's Upper East Side, every lamp blazes."

"Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City- And she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It's 1926, and new York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he'll discover her darkest secret, a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened."


My Rating: 5/5

This book gets hype so much and I totally get it. The Diviners is unlike anything that I've ever read. I really enjoyed the writing style, it was beautiful but spooky. I would give a precursor that this book is a little spooky with the idea of supernatural and the occult. But if you're fine with a bit of a thrill then I think you'd enjoy it overall. This story follows so many characters that you get a really good view of the world and the time period from so many different perspectives. 
The suspense in this book was on amazing. I had to do the thing where I would close the book and just stare at the wall to calm myself down. I would get so caught up in the story and then realize that it was a book, it was all in a book and I could calm my butt down. 
Overall I would recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal elements along with a crazy mystery. Can't wait to continue on with the series.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment