Saturday, April 7, 2018

Spoiler: Fangril by Rainbow Rowell

This is the second Rainbow Rowell book I've consumed. Overall, I enjoyed the story being told in Fangirl and the idea of change. I understand the fear and anxiety that comes with change as an eighteen-year-old. Especially moving away from home and everything you've known. It's really scary. I'm not going to lie to anyone. But I was happy to see that Cath was able to find some good in the experience that horrified her so much to begin with. I also enjoyed her fanfiction writing and her need to live in her own world. I can relate in a sense. When I was in college I read to escape things, or binge watched tv just to get out of my own head. I think those are pretty common things. 

Characters:
Cath: I felt like I could relate to her anxiety and struggles with branching out. It takes alot when you've been able to rely on those around you for a social outlet. That being said, by the end she seems to have her shit together more than Wren and that's saying something. I also appreciated that the author took so much care in describing what might be anxiety or panic attack with Cath's character. I can relate.

Wren: I think the idea of teen drinking was an important part to bring up. In the states, it's notorious that colleges are filled with parties (yes in Canada we party too but our legal drinking age almost across the country is 18). And the idea of using alcohol to cope isn't outlandish. It's rather realistic. Scary even.

Dad: I don't know how I feel about his mental health. I understand that he doesn't want to use medication as the only way to cope with his health problems, but at the same point it's not quite fair that his daughters have to pick up the pieces and keep such a clear eye out for him. But that's the way of life for so many people. I think it's also important to note that mental health is just as important as physical health. It can invade your life and change the outcome of everyday things.

Laura: I have a lot of feelings towards her and they are not good. Yes, she gave birth to the girls, but she doesn't have the right to ask them to get in contact with them now. If you can't handle someone when they're young, what right do you have to come back and try to re-enter their lives?

Reagan: I loved how snarky she was, the only part I wish that her being Levi's ex-boyfriend hadn't been thrown in. Or if it was it had been thrown in earlier. I was glad that they clearly appeared to be over each other though.


Levi: I loved him. His teasing, his easy smile and his friendly manner. I also love that he was able to pick up Cath's fanfiction and fall for her writing. I also really enjoyed their relationship overall. He was willing to take it slow and put in his time with her to get to know her before trying to make a commitment. 

Nick: I think in the end he got exactly what he deserved. He was a huge jerk to Cath and treated her like crap.


Moments to Remember:
Pg. 265
"Her dad was wrong about worrying. Cath liked to worry. 
It made her feel proactive, even when she was totally helpless." 


Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment