Sunday, April 22, 2018

Spoiler: Goliath by Scott Westerfield

I started off this series in a similar way as I finished it. I think that this story was a little much for me to take in to start. The idea of fighting Darwinists against Clankers grew on me at the end of the first book. I really enjoyed the characters separately but I found that this story suffered from one of the many YA flaws.There does not need to be romance in every story ever. It's not necessary. And this is definitely how I felt in regards to Deryn and Alek overall.

Characters:
Deryn: I loved that she was so in love with her job, but it hurt my heart to see her leave the ship after being in love with it for so long. But after her injury it only made sense. I also loved that she held strong to her beliefs even though she had developed feelings for Alek.

Alek: He's a sweet guy. But I think that he and Deryn would have made better friends. I also felt like they were far too young to have developed such strong feelings towards each other (I'd say that I imagined they were 13 or 14 not old enough to be doing half of the things they were). And with that statement making me sound super old.

Volger: He's a strong man whose willing to do anything for his country. As long as he believes its best. I think that Deryn was a good match for his feisty attitude. 

Tesla: Was he mad or was he just ambitious? Maybe both whose to say.

Borvil: Possibly my favourite character in the whole series even though he is a beastie. I hope that he grows old with Deryn and Alek caring for him. 

Malone: More trouble than he's worth.


Moments to Remember:
Pg. 144
"When Alek reached his stateroom door, he pulled it open, extending his hand. 'Ladies first.'
'Get stuffed,' she said but went in ahead of him."

Pg. 402
"'They are Americans,' Volger said, 'They toot their horns for anything.'"


Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment