Saturday, October 5, 2019

Reread Thoughts: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


32075671. sy475

Title: The Hate U Give
Author: Angie Thomas
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary, Hard-hitting, Young Adult
Pages: 444
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Year Published: 2017
Format: Audiobook

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighbourhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between the worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterwards, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. 

But what Starr does- or does not- say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life."

My Rating: 4.5/5

I think that I read this at the start of last year and I will reiterate that I think that this story is so very important for our generation. The fact that so many people have been oppressed and treated horribly for years due to difference in skin, or financial status is horrible in itself, but we're in the 21st century and we haven't really helped anything at this point either. I do hope that one day everyone feels protected by officers and not threatened. I'm glad that I reread this book not only for the important message but also to revisit the family dynamics in this story. I loved that parents in this story and though some of the family aspects were "messy" I think it really shows that family isn't only blood. 
I would strongly recommend this to anyone who is open minded to understanding the lives of others in a different situation then themselves, or for someone who needs to feel like they have been heard after a similiar tragedy.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment