Sunday, November 10, 2019

Spoiler: Illuminae Series by Amy Kaufman and Jay Kristoff



   


Image result for illuminae files covers

After taking some time to think about my thoughts on this series overall I can say that it is one of my favourite series of all time! There are so many positive notes on the series: the characters, the style of writing (documents, IMs, etc) and the overall plot. The only cons I can think of over the top of my head is the fact that some of the conversations between the teens were so obviously adults writing it (a little over the top). But even then I was never disappointed in plot or use of art to depict certain aspects of the plot. 

Characters:
Ezra: I really liked his character especially watching him experience agism with the other people on the ship. I wasn't surprised to see that older adults wouldn't want to follow him. I can't blame them and can relate in my field of work (and I'm 24 not 18). I think that his romance with Kady is incredible and I was so worried about his safety as per usual.

Kady: She is just a geek badass that I can get behind. An amazing role model for young women who are into programming and computer sciences. I loved her and I was so happy to see her character in full again. I will say watching her make mistakes with AI was hard. And seeing her grow a relationship with Aidan only to have it end in such an intense climax was really hard to stomach. 

Hannah: Now she's a badass fighting and tactical genius. I just think that the woman in this series is so well written! I love the way that they kick as and take names in so many different ways. I also enjoyed that she and Nik didn't have an instantaneous relationship and that the authors gave her time to grieve because that's something that would be realistic to the characters and the situation. 

Nik: He is my favourite male love interest in the series. I won't lie I love the bad boy vibe, the misunderstood bad boy with the heart of gold is kind of my shit. I loved that he gave Hannah time to grieve and even was willing to let her go if she wanted. While he flirted he didn't push her in any direction per se.

Ella: Again, another badass female doing her thing. I think that her disabilities are truly her abilities, due to the fact that she lives so much of her life thanks to technology, she is fantastic with it. I was happy to see her regain a father figure and a family of sorts. 

Asha: Another badass, but not because she was trained with technology, tactical fighting, or strategy. She is a badass because she chose to rebel and give anything she can to fight against her oppressors. I loved her characters compassion towards those she cared for and her strength in her fight for those around her.

Rhys: I could do without him. I think he was a good look at how the military doesn't always know what's going on in different factions and don't always agree with what they sign up for. I do think that we could have done without the romance between him and Asha, but it was ok.

Aidan: We could argue about whether or not it is a character but I do think that he is. I honestly think that he gained the ability to care about those around him. Especially Kady, obviously. I also think that while it is viewed as heartless the action he took was for the greater good and no one else would have done it. I hoped that he wouldn't have to but it is in who he is. (Also I know that Aidan is genderless, I just imagine the voice to be more masculine). 

I really loved this series and recommend it for anyone who is even a little interested in it. What are your favourite parts of the series?

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment