Thursday, November 14, 2019

Book Review: With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo


38739562
Title: With the Fire on High
Author: Elizabeth Acevedo
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Pages: 400
Publisher: HarperTeen
Year Published: 2019
Format: Audiobook

"With her daughter to care for and her abuela to help support, high school senior Emoni Santiago has to make the tough decisions, and do what must be done. The one place she can let her responsibilities go in the kitchen, where she adds a little something magical to everything she cooks, turning her food into straight-up goodness. Still, she knows she doesn't have enough time for her school's new culinary arts class, doesn't have the money for the class's trip to Spain- and shouldn't still be dreaming of someday working in a real kitchen. But even with all the rules she has for her life- and all the rules everyone expects her to play by- once Emoni starts cooking, her only real choice is to let her talent break free."

My Rating: 4.5/5

I'd heard so many amazing things about this hard-hitting contemporary. And I agree with so many statements. The writing about food and cooking in this book were mouth-watering. The fact that cooking for someone could be therapeutic is interesting for someone for whom cooking is a chore. But it was inspiring in a sense. Makes me want to get recipes from my family to pass down. I also think to see a role where a teen mother was cooperating with the father and although they had issues were putting the child first was so important. Too often if there is a teen who is pregnant or has a baby it is about how they're doing it alone or wish to have changed their plans. But while it was anything but easy Emoni had a certain grace to her character! I loved her roots and personality. So much more than what people would assume about her. The only reason that this book got dinged .5 stars is the line "I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding." It's just a line that is so utterly frustrating to me. I know it can still be used well, but whenever I hear those words it just takes me so far out of any story.
Overall would recommend to Teens and Young Adults interested in an uplifting story about finding your balance and burning bright!

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment