Saturday, January 11, 2020

Book Review: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black


26032825. sy475
Title: The Cruel Prince
Author: Holly Black
Series/Standalone: The Folk of the Air Series (Book #1)
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Pages: 370
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Year Published: 2018
Format: Hardcover Copy (Own it)
First Line: "On a drowsy Sunday afternoon, a man in a long dark coat hesitated in front of a house on a tree-lined street."

"Of course I want to be like them. They're beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Teen years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him- and face the consequences.

As Jude comes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself."

My Rating: 3.5/5

  I'd like to start this off by saying that I'm using a new rating system that helps me determine the rating that I give a book. It is pretty much CAWPILE used by Bookroast on youtube but instead of putting 10 stars into the system I'm only putting 5 stars into it because that's what I prefer. So far I've found it fairly accurate. That's one of my 2020 reading goals to look more carefully at what I'm rating things and why they are getting ratings. 
  On another note here is why this book got this rating. I really enjoyed the characters I thought they were interesting and unique. I loved that aspect of the story. I didn't love Jude's perspective but it was an interesting one to read from. The atmosphere was ok. I was interested in it. Here is the part that really brought it down for me. I didn't really enjoy Holly Black's writing style. It felt to slow for the vast majority of the book. For some reason, it also put me to sleep. I'd read 20 pages and be zonked for the night.
 Overall I think that it was pretty good, not great. Kinda just ok. This might be due to the hype around the series. I'm hoping that as I continue on I'll begin to enjoy it more. Only time will tell!

Thanks for reading,
 Sidny


Book Roast URL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsIJyv-pQSrKP4Ogj6WYIdg

No comments:

Post a Comment