Saturday, October 10, 2020

Book Review: Dracula by Bram Stoker


 
Title: Dracula
Author: Bram Stoker
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Classic, Horror
Pages: 488
Publisher: Norton Critical Edition
Year Published: 1897
Format: Audiobook

Please note that this is not the version I read, just the one I had marked to read on Goodreads.
"A rich selection of background and source materials is provided in three areas, Contexts include probably inspirations for Dracula in the earlier works of Jame Malcolm Rymer and Emily Gerard. Also included are a discussion of Stoker's working notes for the novel and 'Dracula's Guest,' the original opening chapter to Dracula. Review and Reactions reprints five early reviews of the novel. 'Dramatic and Film Variations' focuses on the theater and film adaptations of Dracula, two indications of the novel's unwavering appeal. David j. Skal, Gregory A. Waller, and Nina Auerbach offer their varied perspectives. Checklists of both dramatic and film adaptions are included."

My Rating: 4.5/5

I'm very rarely a fan of classics, but maybe I just haven't been delving into the right ones. I think that classical horror is something I'll have to look more into. I think that everyone knows the premise of this book, but what I didn't expect is to have characters that I truly enjoyed reading from. I listened to a full cast version of the book itself and it was very enjoyable. It also kept the horror elements better than I expected. The atmosphere of the story was mysterious and chilling, but still descriptive to the reader. Overall I'm hoping to continue occasionally reading classics and this renewed my hope that I might even enjoy them.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment