Saturday, October 17, 2020

Book Review: American Street by Ibi Zoboi



 Title: American Street
Author: Ibi Zoboi
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Fiction
Pages: 336
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Year Published: 2017
Format: Audiobook

"The rock in the water does not know the pain of the rock in the sun.

On the corner of American Street and Joy Road, Fabiola Toussaint thought she would finally find une belle vie- a good life.

But after they leave Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Fabiola's mother is detained by U.S immigration, leaving Fabiola to navigate her loud American cousins, Chantal, Donna, and Princess; the grittiness of Detriot's west side; a new school; and a surprising romance all on her own.

Just as she finds her footing in this stranger new world, a dangerous proposition presents itself, and Fabiola soon realizes that freedom comes at a cost. Trapped at the crossroads of an impossible choice, will she pay the price for the American dream?"

My Rating: 5/5

This is not what I anticipated it to be and I'm so glad that I read it. I think that this is a book that will surprise many young readers. The plot follows our main character Fabiola, her struggle with adapting to American culture, the understanding of the dynamic the family she has always known but is just entering and the cons of living somewhere she believed to be a perfect life. The characters in this story were dynamic, interesting and relatable. I think that there is a character for everyone to relate to. I will say that there are domestic abuse, substance abuse and violence in this story as just a few triggers that go on with different side characters and people you see in the surroundings. I will also say that the use of cultural beliefs was extremely interesting and intriguing, it kept me reading. The idea that the grass is greener on the other side is something that really plays out throughout this novel. I look forward to reading more work from the author and seeing where else her beautiful writing takes me.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment