Friday, October 14, 2011

Spoiler: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

I found this book very interesting. The way it covered religion without offending me was great!
Bethany wasn't the smartest character in the whole world... I can't believe she didn't figure out that Jake Thorn was a demon. I seriously thought he was the Devil himself. I like the fact that she feel for Xavier but seriously... the first pretty boy you meet your legs weaken.. mmmmkkk :P
Xavier is the perfect man and he is officially getting added to my fantasy crush list.. He would put his life on the line for Bethany no matter what. I felt bad that he lost the first girl. All because of Jake( i freakin' hate jake).
Molly is probably the best girl friend someone could have. She reminds me a lil bit of myself. Mostly because she babbles.
Jake Thorn: Is it no obvious that he's evil... I mean hell all these bad things happen as soon as he shows up in town. DUH!
Gabriel: Oh the protective big brother... he is a good guy I think and good for Molly I do believe.
Ivy: I wish she was my big sister :D
Taylah: That was terrible that she died. I mean why? I honestly thought Molly would die first...
Prom: Well if that wasn't a disaster i don't know what is. How could Xavier believe that Bethany would cheat on him so easy. That's just so dumb.
How Bethany showed Xavier what she was, was totally awesome and however, Alexandra came up with it was awesome. Jumping off the cliff, loving it.
I didn't like the ending because it was confusing. Were they going back to heavan, to another town or staying home wtf.
Favourite Line/ Moments:
Pg. 4: “‘Bethany, hand me the key,’ said Gabriel. Looking after the key to the house was the only job I had been entrusted with. I felt around the deep pockets of my dress. ‘It’s here somewhere,’ I assured him. ‘Please tell me you haven’t lost it already.’ ‘We did fall from the sky, you know,’ I said indignantly. ‘It’s easy for things to go missing.’ “ ♥Pg. 5 “ Human life was so complicated there were devices to boil water, wall sockets that channeled electrical currents, and all manners of utensils in the kitchen and bathroom designed to save time and increase comfort. Everything had a different texture, a different smell- it was like a circus for the senses.” ♥Pg. 12 “One of the most frustrating words in the human language as far as I could tell, was love. So much meaning attached to this one little word. People bandied it about freely, using it to describe their attachments to possessions, pets, vacation destinations and favorite foods. In the same breath they then applied this word to the person they considered most important in their lives. Wasn’t that insulting? Shouldn’t there be some other term to describe deeper emotion? Humans were so preoccupied with love. They were all desperate to form an attachment to one person they could refer to as their ‘other half.’ It seemed from my reading of literature that being in love meant becoming the beloved’s entire world. The rest of the universe paled into insignificance compared to the lovers. When they were separated, each fell into a melancholy state, and only when they were reunited did their hearts start beating again. Only where they were together could they really see the colors of the world. When they were apart, that color leached away, leaving everything in a gray haze. I lay in bed, wondering about the intensity of this emotion that was so irrational and so irrefutably human.” ♥Pg. 40 “ ‘Xavier Laro’s blond and play on the lacrosse team. He’s pretty hot. I wouldn’t blame you for liking him, but I think he might already have girlfriend. Or did they break up? I’m not sure; I could try and find out.’ “ ♥Pg. 57 “ ‘The teacher got really mad when one of the boys said something about Lady Capulet.’ ‘What did he say?’ ‘He called her a MILF, which must be offensive because Miss Castle called him a thug and sent him out of the room. Gabe, what is a MILF?’ Ivy smothered her smile behind a napkin while Gabriel did something I’d never seen before. He blushed and shifted uncomfortably in his chair. ‘Some acronym for a teenage obscenity, I imagine,’ he mumbled.” ♥Pg. 83 “ ‘Hi Molly,’ Xavier said when it became apparent that she wasn’t gong to initiate conversation. ‘Hi,’ she replied briskly and gave my sleeve a proprietary tug. When she spoke, it was in the wheedling voice of a small child. ‘Beth, come to the cafeteria with me- I’m practically dying of starvation! And after school on Friday I want you to come back to my place- we’re all getting facials from Taylah’s sister, who’s a beautician. It’s going to be awesome. She always brings lots of samples so we can do our own at home.’ ‘That does sound awesome,’ said Xavier with a feigned enthusiasm that made me giggle. ‘What time should I come over?’ “ ♥Pg. 87 “ ‘It’s not right,’ Molly continued accusingly. ‘He walks around looking gorgeous, being friendly to everyone, but won’t let anyone close to him.’ “ ♥Pg. 114 “ ‘Great. Well, how about you give me your number and I’ll put it in my phone. We can talk details later.’ He withdrew a shiny black gadget from the pocket of his windbreaker. It lay twinkling in the palm of his hand. I could hear the clatter of cookery coming from the kitchen and knew there was no time to lose. ‘It’s easier if you give me yours and I call you,’ I said quickly. He didn’t argue. I spied a newspaper of the coffee table, tore off a corner, and handed it to him. ‘I might need a pen,’ he said. I found one marking the place in a leather bound book one of my siblings had been reading. Xavier scribbled some digits, and I pocketed the slip just in time to give Gabriel and Ivy a beatific smile as they smile as they walked in, carrying a tray of mugs. I walked Xavier to the front door, where his eyes lingered a moment on his eyes lingered a moment on what I was wearing. The intensity had gone from his face and his characteristic half-smile had returned. ‘By the way, nice jammies,’. ♥Pg. 137 “ ‘The future Is not to be feared but confronted,’ said Angela. The way she said way she said it was almost a challenge.” ♥Pg. 137 “ ‘It’s your life line,’ the woman said, her eyes wide with alarm. ‘I’ve seen anything like it before.’ ‘What about my life line?’ I asked impatiently. ‘My dear’- Angela’s voice dropped to a mere whisper- ‘you don’t have one.’ ♥Pg. 157 “ ‘Did anyone else notice that it took Romeo all of five seconds to switch from Rosaline to Juliet?’ ‘That’s because he knew Juliet was the one from the moment he met her,’ I said. ‘Puh-lease,’ Bianca retorted. ‘You can’t know that you love someone after two minutes. He just wanted to get in her pants. Romeo is just like every other horny teenage boy.’ “ ♥Pg. 191 “ ‘ Sit Phantom!’ Ivy cooed. ‘On your bottom!’ ‘Oh, for goodness’ sake!’ Gabriel put down his book and pointed a long finger at Phantom. ‘Sit, ‘ he commanded in a deep voice. Phantom looked sheepish and sank straight to the floor. Ivy scowled in frustration. ‘I’ve been trying to get him to do that all day! What is it with dogs and male authority?’ “ ♥Pg. 242 “ ‘Let’s get out of here’ Xavier said, packing up his books. ‘Not until you’ve finished your essay.’ ‘I’m done.’ ‘You’ve written three line.’ ‘Three carefully considered lines,’ Xavier objected. ‘Quality over quantity, remember?’ “ ♥Pg. 250 “ ‘Beth I’d take on Megatron’s army to protect you.’ “ ♥Pg. 251 “ ‘Here eat this,’ he commanded and pushed a health bar across the table. As an athlete, he always seemed to have an endless supply at any given time. The label told me this one contained cashews, coconut, apricots and seeds. ‘I can’t eat this; it’s got birdseed in it!’ ‘Those are sesame seeds and they’re full of energy. I don’t want you burning out.’ ‘Why would I do that?’ ‘Because your blood sugar is probably low- so don’t argue.’ Sometimes it was easier not to argue with Xavier when his objective was taking care of me. ‘All right mother,’ I said biting into the chewy bar. ‘By the way, this tastes like cardboard.’ “ ♥Pg. 259 “ Before he could stop me I locked my arms around his neck and pulled him into an alcove between the lockers. It was his own fault really, standing there with his soft hair flopping over his eyes, his school shirt coming untucked, and the plaited leather band hugging his smooth tanned wrist as if it were part of him. If he didn’t want to be mauled, he shouldn’t have put himself right in my path.” ♥Pg. 261 There is a lovely poem on this page Edgar Allen Poe. It was monstrously long. So I decided to just say the page :D. ♥Pg. 271 “Is that what you spend your spare time doing?’ ‘You got me. All I do is write down lines to impress women.’ ‘Women?’ ‘Sorry- one woman,’ he rectified as I scowled at him.” ♥Pg. 284 “ ‘Well I don’t want a boyfriend, Daddy,’ said Madeline. ‘Boys are dirty, and they make a mess when they eat.’ ‘I’d imagine the six-year-old ones would.’ Xavier chuckled. ‘But don’t worry, they get better at it.’ “ ♥Pg. 309 “ ‘ Did I mention I’ve finally decided on a nickname for you?’ ‘ I didn’t know you were looking.’ ‘Well, I’ve given the matter some serious thought.’ ‘And what have you come up with?’ ‘Cookie,’ I announced proudly. Xavier scrunched his face. ‘No way.’ ‘You don’t like it? What about Bumblebee?’ ‘Worse.’ ‘Snookie-wookie?’ ‘Do you have any cyanide?’ “ ♥Pg. 311 “With the talk concluded, Xavier spontaneously swept me up into his arms. ‘Urgh, would you two just get a room already?’ Taylah called out. ‘C’est tres disgusting.’ “ ♥Pg. 312 “ ‘Wait have you seen it?’ ‘Seen what?’ I exploded. ‘You know,’ she said emphatically ‘It!’ She gestured in the vicinity of her groin until I finally understood her meaning. “ ♥Pg. 319 “ ‘There is nothing more alluring than a girl with a healthy appreciation of food,’ “ ♥Pg. 370 “ ‘ No really don’t use skin-care products.’ ‘Whatever, suit yourself.’ ‘It’s true, Mel,’ said Molly. ‘Beth’s family probably doesn’t even believe in beauty products. They’re kind of like the Amish.’ “ ♥Pg. 412 “As I watched him I realized that my whole world was right in front of me, just over six feet tall and lying on my bed. “ ♥Pg. 424 “When angels’ tears do flood the earth, The gates of Hell shall see rebirth. When the demise of angels doth impend, The human boy shall meet his end.” ♥Pg. 427 “ ‘Love you,’ Xavier said just before he drifted back to sleep. ‘Love you more,’ I said playfully. ‘Not a chance,’ Xavier said, fully awake now. ‘I’m bigger, I can contain more love.’ ‘I’m smaller, therefore my love particles are more compressed, which means I can fit more.’ Xavier laughed. ‘That argument makes no sense. Over ruled.’ “ ♥Pg. 430 “ ‘How did you learn to cook?’ ‘I had no choice, I had to learn,’ Xavier said. ‘My whole family besides Mom are useless in the kitchen. When she works late at the clinic they order pizza or eat whatever they can find that says, ‘add water and stir.’ So I cook for them whenever Mom isn’t around.’ ‘Xavier’s a man of many skills,’ I told Ivy and Gabe glowing.” ♥Pg. 435 “ ‘He’s the most amazing guy I’ve ever met, and I’m not going to pass up the opportunity to be with him just because you’re having a little PMS freak-out.’ She narrowed her eyes at me. ‘And for your information, he says you’re a bitch.’ “ ♥Pg. 435 “ ‘ Envy is a deadly sin, Bethany,’ Jake purred. His eyes were completely covered by a glistening black film, so I could distinguish between pupil and iris. ‘You should know that. Why don’t you just congratulate Molly and be gracious?’ ‘Or start writing her eulogy,’ I snapped. “ ♥Pg. 448 “ ‘Welcome to the dark side,’ he said, and laughed coldly. ‘Although I prefer to think of it as the fun side.’ There was murmurs of appreciation from his followers. ‘I can promise you nothing feels better than sin. Why not turn to pleasure when life treats us with such indifference? We are here all of us, because we want to feel alive!’ “ ♥Pg. 473 “ ‘I liked his tattoos. Do you think I should get one? I was thinking one that says ‘leirbag.’ ‘ ‘You want a tattoo of Gabriel’s name backwards?’ ‘Damn, is it that obvious? I’ll have to think of something else.’ ‘Gabriel doesn’t like tattoos,’ I said. ‘He says the human body is not a billboard.’ “ ♥Pg. 482 “ ‘ Do you ever worry that they might that they might show up again and everything will fall apart?’ ‘No , because I think between the two of us, we’ll manage to put things back together.’ ‘You always know what to say.’ I smiled. ‘Do you rehearse those lines at home?’ ‘It’s all part of my charm,’ Xavier winked.” ♥Pg. 482 “ She twirled and is saw that she had undergone a complete transformation. She had dropped the length of her skirt to below the knee, buttoned her blouse up to her chin, and fastened her tie neatly. He hair was pulled back in a severe braid and she had discarded all of her jewelry. She was even wearing the regulation school socks. ‘You look like you’re ready for the convent,’ Xavier said. ‘Good!’ Molly seemed please. ‘I’m trying to look mature and responsible.’ ‘Oh, Molly,’ I sighed. ‘This wouldn’t have anything to do with Gabriel would it?’ ‘Well, duh,’ Molly said. ‘Why else would I walk around looking like such a loser?’ “
Looking forward to getting the second book "Hades" when it comes to my school library on order. Next book on the list is the Outsiders by S.E Hinton.Sincerely, Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment