Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Spoiler: Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

I loved this book! It had so many unexpected elements that made reading it entertaining. I wasn’t bored even when something wasn’t popping out of no where. I think that so many teens can relate with Caitlin’s story. At least one element of it.
Drugs are a big thing in this book which isn’t suprising to me really. I live in a small town with a drug problem, so I understand how drugs can be everywhere. I think it’s important that Caitlin actually experiences pot. I do wish that she hadn’t used it so easily but really she does mostly in the book without much of a consequence.
Peer pressure is another thing that I noticed in this book. Rina practically forces Caitlin to join cheerleading. This doesn’t surprise me in the least as this is normal in teenage society. If one friend is doing something the other friend usually joins to fit in.
Caitlin is a very over shadowed child who doesn’t get the attention she deserves. Many younger siblings have the same thing where the older child is a shining star so why even bother to live up to expectations when it doesn’t get them noticed.
Abuse is a huge deal in this novel and I think it’s important that teens learn about this. I was shocked when this first happened in the book, but fascinated to see how it would play out. Would it be a one time thing, or would it happen over and over? Soon it became apparent that this was to become a norm in this relationship. I was practically yelling for someone to see that Caitlin was being hurt so horribly.

Characters:
Caitlin: A superb main character who really helps us walk through so many teen issues (mentioned above). I could hardly believe that a girl would simply let a boy hit her, but she did really love Rogerson so it wasn’t something so out of the blue. I was so happy when they broke up even though it hurt her, being with him would have hurt her more.

Rogerson: I really liked this character in the beginning thinking that he was the misunderstood bad boy, but after he started hitting Caitlin, I lost all respect for him. The fact that it wasn’t just a one time thing, that he said I love you after and that he used it to get sex as well were awful. It really opened my eyes though.

Rina: I think that Rina isn’t really the best friend I hoped that Caitlin would have. I would hope that I would notice if one of my friends was being abused in any way.

Caitlin’s Mom: I don’t think that her mom really even tried to treat her daughter’s fairly. It is obvious throughout the book that Cass is who was her favorite and still is even though she isn’t even in the same state anymore. I’m happy that she finally realized what was going on with Caitlin, because if she hadn’t who would have?

Caitlin’s Dad: I was hoping that her dad would just say she couldn’t go with Rogerson one night and so Caitlin would just start to pull away from Rogerson but he didn’t. If I was her dad I would have kicked Rogerson’s butt.

Boo & Stewart: I wish that my parents had a couple of friends like this. Hippies (I find) are hilarious.

Cass: I wish she hadn’t have left because I feel like this is what changed everything for Caitlin.

Corinna: One of my favorite characters. I thought that her and David had it made, but we don’t really know what happens in their relationship and though it’s obvious they were in love it just didn’t work.


Moments to Remember:
♥Pg. 92
“I’d watch his expression change as he got closer, hearing the strains of one of my baby-baby-oh-please-baby songs.
‘Oh, my God,’ he said to me once as he flopped into the driver’s  seat, pulling the door shut behind him. ‘What is this shit?’”

♥Pg. 115
“‘Which two planets are almost identical in size?’
‘Duh,’ he said, smoothing my hair back, ‘Venus and Earth.’
‘Rogerson,’ I asked him sweetly as we sat watching a video in the pool house, ‘where would I find the pelagic zone?’
‘In the open sea,’ he said. ‘Now shut up and eat your Junior Mints.’”

♥Pg. 124
“Corinna was still crying, even as Dave kissed her forehead and smiled. Taking one of her hands and twirling her around the small, paint-peeling kitchen. ‘Stop,’ she said, half-laughing as he dipped her over the garbage can. ‘David, honestly.’”

Hope you enjoyed,
Love,
Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment