Monday, November 25, 2013

Book Review: Until It Hurts to Stop by Jennifer R. Hubbard



Title: Until It Hurts To Stop
Author: Jennifer R. Hubbard
Pages: 246
Publisher: Viking
Year Published: 2013
First Line: “My friend Nick reaches across the cafeteria table and drops a knife into my hand. ‘Happy birthday, Maggie.’”

“When you can’t trust anyone, how can you ever feel safe?
In seventh grade, Maggie Camden was the class outcast. Every day, the other girls tripped her, pinched her, trapped her in the bathroom, told her she would be better off dead. Four years have passed since then, and Maggie’s tormentors seem to have moved on. The ringleader of them all, Raleigh Barringer, even moved out of town. But Maggie has never stopped watching for attacks, and every laugh still sounds like it’s at her expense.
The only time Maggie feels at peace is when she’s hiking up in the mountains with her best friend, Nick. Lately, though there’s a new sort of tension between the two of them- a tension both dangerous and delicious. But how can Maggie expect anything more out of Nick when all she’s ever been told is tat she’s ugly, she’s pathetic, she’s unworthy of love? And how can she ever feel safe, now that Raleigh Barringer is suddenly0terrifyingly- back in town?”

My Rating: 5/5

I haven’t read a book that touched me this much in while and I loved it. This book was a giveaway from Goodreads, the user being Jennifer, as in Jennifer R. Hubbard. I was impressed and must say that a book that surrounds the aftermath of bullying isn’t common, or at least I haven’t found one yet. And I doubt there will be one that can hold a candle to this one. I loved the story line, setting and mainly the characters.
As someone who has been bullied in the past (haven’t we all) I felt in sync with Maggie. Until someone has picked on you, I’m not sure you understand what one mean/rude sentence can do to someone’s self esteem. I think this is a book that all teenagers need to read, because it is obvious that the bullying problem isn’t getting any better. In fact, it might be getting worse (damn the internet for introducing the cowardly bully). So that this book should be able to reach out to all different kinds of kids in itself is amazing.
THANK YOU JENNIFER R. HUBBARD FOR SHOWING THAT BULLYING DOESN’T STICK WITH A PERSON FOR THE MOMENT, IT’S THERE FOR LIFE! (Oh and the book itself!)

Thanks for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment