Monday, November 11, 2013

Spoiler: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Let’s start this off right. Hi, I’m sorry I haven’t been able to post a honest to God Spoiler in forever, but in my defense 730 pages is a lot to read while going to work at the same time, all the same thanks for your patience.
Now into what’s important, the book! I really loved this book. I feel like Christopher Paolini did a tremendous job of taking a fantasy book to the next level by incorporating dragons, elves, dwarves,  Shades and so many other mythical creatures. I was interested by the Urgals and Ra’zac the most though because those are two things that you don’t hear everywhere (ok, I’ve never heard anything about them in any other book, every). They make fighting evil so much more interesting, because you don’t really know what they are or what they’re capable.
I also really enjoyed the fact that we, as readers, are like Eragon. We learn things as he does.
Mainly I love the idea of how they fight in fantasy books, swords and magic are pretty cool and then throw in a bow and arrow, jaw dropping.

♥Characters:♥
♥Eragon: Might as well start with who this book is named after. Eragon starts off as a poor farm and turns into part of a legend. I loved that in the beginning he is so naïve about the world around him, the government included. And then through his adventures with Brom he begins to realize that there are so many things he didn’t know back home. I was devastated with Eragon lost Brom. I think Brom had become a father figure to him and had helped him to develop so much. At least he was given a proper burial. That was really important.
I was also shocked when he got captured by the Empire, but I guess this gives time for the author to introduce the good to the evil. I thought it was a good way for us to learn more about the Shade and how much power he has in the government itself. The fact that he knows hardly anything about his parents will probably have a big role in the rest of the series.
Lastly, I loved how the Varden accepted him (except the Twins) and that he didn’t share Murtagh’s secret. He was a hero to them and I can only imagine that this will continue now that he has killed Durza. I wonder how his feelings for Arya will develop as well. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
♥Saphira: She is an awesome character in this book. Not animal like at all. She really has a wise humanish personality about her and I loved that. That she could communicate and give advice made her and Eragon seem like a better team. They are an awesome duo and I hope that she has a chance to save her brethren from Galbatorix.
♥Brom: I loved this guy. He was hard on Eragon at times, but only when necessary. The picture I get in my head of them sparring is quite humorous and it makes so much more sense when we learn that Brom was a Rider. The fact that he knows so much about them also makes sense after this discovery. I cried when he died, I won’t lie to you. It was heartbreaking.
♥Murtagh: It is pretty interesting that he finds them the way he does. And then that he just goes with Eragon without a doubt. I was really suspicious of this first, but then I realized that he had his reasons for not going to Varden. But they seem to have accepted him a lot more by the end.  I do think he has something else hidden though. Hopefully he’s not a mole.
Durza: He’s just an interesting character. The idea that the only way to kill him is through the heart is also fascinating. Hopefully there aren’t to many more of them for the empire to team up with.
♥Angella: She’s an interesting character. I wonder how she is powerful enough to just be let into the Varden. Perhaps another rider that escaped Galbatorix? Guess we’ll learn and see.
The Twins: I think we all know that these guys aren’t with the Varden for a good reason. Maybe they’re not even with them at all, just spying. Because if they have as much power as it would appear, why are they with the losing side? They don’t even seem like good people, what would they earn with the fall of the Empire anyways? These are the questions I ponder at night (sometimes).
Arya:  I think that Eragon has a crush on this lurvely lady. But would that even be accepted within the elf community. Hope to see in the next book.
THERE ARE OTHER IMPORTANT CHARACTERS, BUT I WASN’T SURE WHAT TO SAY ABOUT THEM, AND IF I INCLUDED ONE THEY WOULD HAVE ALL NEEDED TO BE LISTED.

♥Moments to Remember♥
♥Pg. 79
“’All the Riders were stronger of body, keener of mind, and truer of sight than normal men. Along with this,  a human Rider would slowly acquire pointed ears, though they were never as prominent as an elf’s.’
 Eragon had to stop his hand from reaching up to feel the tips of his ears.”

♥Pg. 217
“’This is your training.’
 Eragon looked back at him, confused. ‘I don’t understand.’
 ‘Of course you don’t,’ Brom said impatiently. ‘That’s why I’m teaching you and not the other way around.’”

♥Pg. 228
“’Think about it: you can communicate with any sentient being, though the contact may not be very clear. You could spend the entire day listening to a birds thoughts or understanding how an earthworm feels during a rainstorm. But I’ve never found birds very interesting. I suggest cats; they have unusual personalities.”

♥Pg. 280
“’You’ll enjoy it. There is much you can learn from books and scrolls,’ said Jeod. He gestured at the walls. These books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.’”

♥Pg. 424
“’Since I don’t know your friend, I have to ask: Will he tell anyone?’
 Murtagh gave a strained laugh. ‘If you had met him, that wouldn’t need answering. His mouth is loosely hinged and hangs open all the time, vomiting whatever happens to be in his mind. The question isn’t whether he will tell people, but whom he will tell.’”

♥Pg. 674
“Engaged in a fiery dance, their bodies were linked and separated by the flashing blades. At times they nearly touched, taut skin only a hair’s breadth away, but then momentum would whirl them apart, and they would withdraw for a second, only to join again. Their sinuous forms wove together like twisting ropes of windblown smoke.”

♥Final line: “I will come.”

Thanks for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment