Friday, January 16, 2015

Spoiler: Florence by Ciye Cho

This book is once that was requested by the author and I’ve finally had a chance to read it. As mentioned above although it was a request all things stated are honest opinions of my feelings towards the book.
This book was unmarked territory for me. I have read one other mermaid series, around when I was 12 so that’s while ago….. And it definitely captured my attention. At the beginning I thought that this book had a set path, but by the end I was intrigued and left wanting more. My favourite part of this novel was the way things were in such vivid colour in contrast to the darkness. It was both interesting and hard to comprehend. After I was able to imagine the characters, their personalities helped to keep my interested ignited.

♥Characters♥
♥Florence: As usual, the main character grows and changes throughout the book. I’m happy she didn’t change to much though. She was able to stand up for herself by the end and what she believed in but she still had an interest in photography and reading as far as I could tell. I was also happy to see that she made her wait out of the love triangle, at least I hope she did. Who knows… there is a book 2!!!!!!

♥Kiren: Ok so I thought she was going to end up with him for sure. He seemed the obvious choice for her to be with. Sociable, charming and easy to look at. I was pretty surprised when we see him talking to the Wise Ones, ok surprised isn’t quite the right word, I was angry. Anger and shock are emotions so good, but also made me put the book down and go for a walk. Hopefully even though he survived the Darkness he doesn’t give over to the Wise Ones.  I believe he thought he was doing the best for his people.

♥Rolan: I thought he would be such a tool. I’ll be honest, I judged immediately. But then he turned out to be guarded, but sweet generally. His anger came from trying to protect his own. And who can blame him with the past he had. I do hope that he can protect the kingdom, but the odds aren’t really in his favour, are they?

♥Yolee: I wonder how old she would be and whether or not she had ever considered the thrown? I don’t believe she had, but I believe she will stand behind Rolan through the war that has erupted.

♥Serillico: She is a heartless piece of work. I can’t say I wasn’t happy when she died. In fact it didn’t bother me in the least. If anything I may have celebrated with a tiny bit, like a small dance around my dorm room.

♥Iriego: He seemed like a heartless man at first, but I warmed up to him. He does what he believes best for his people. Even though that almost meant putting Florence down like an animal.

♥Dorsimer: I guess not everyone can live during a war, but it would be nice if he could have.

♥Moments to Remember♥
♥Pg. 46
“I recognized Malachiro and Pahlo. Yolee pointed out the others: Haralo, Juren, Piriko… it sounded like she was reading from an Ikea catalogue.”

♥Pg. 63
“‘They’re beautiful,’ I whispered. Maybe a little dangerous too, I thought. But then again, the words beauty and danger seemed like synonyms in Niemela.”

♥Pg. 82
“I was the only girl from a faraway world. Unique. Maybe even interesting.
 I could be exotic, ethereal, graceful…
Alas, that was when my toe bumped into a barnacle on the whale’s tail. I lost my balance and yelped.”

♥Final Line: “That… and the distant roar of Rolanama.”

Thanks for reading,
Love,

Sidny xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment