Saturday, May 27, 2017

Spoiler: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

To begin, these thoughts are my own opinion and if you're a die-hard fan of this series more power to you.

Based on that opening line, I have a feeling many of you know what I'm about to say. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. It was a solid OK read for me. I think that the format of this novel was very interesting and yes I plan on continuing the story to learn more about the characters and the world. This being said, I didn't fall in love with the writing style or our main characters. I thought that this premise had a lot of promise and after being recommended it several times I had high expectations for this book. Unfortunately, it just wasn't the read for me. It took me a long time to read and I feel that while I'll remember this book, I may mostly remember the format. To continue my thoughts let's get into some character discussion.


Characters:
Jacob: Not my favourite main character, I felt for him in the beginning of the story. Dealing with the feeling that he didn't really belong and then witnessing a horrific scene. But then throughout the book, he was so severally wishy washy that it drove me crazy.  I think that his interest in Emma was questioned for only the briefest of seconds before it was just happening. It made me wonder about how he could make the decision so fast, but during other times just couldn't figure out what the heck to do.

Emma: Again interesting, but I wonder about her relationship with Abe and if she's really over it or if she's just replacing him with Jacob. I know it's been a long period of time, but still. She's been stuck reliving the same time over and over. It makes me wonder.

Miss Peregrine: I also wonder more about her past and her brothers. I think there may have been a name drop near the end of the book, but I'm too lazy to go back and check. I wonder if she'll ever be able to transform again. 

Millard: Probably one of my favourite characters. The way he speaks and just tells everyone how it is (especially after he's been shot). I wonder about his future in the series for sure.

Enoch: Creepy little shit... isn't he? But I like him for that reason especially. He's what I thought this book would be... creepy kids.

Olivia: She's so incredibly young, makes you wonder how mature she is internal.

Bronwyn: I think she's going to grow a lot throughout the series.

Grandpa Portman: How well his story lined up with World War II events was unfortunate because it made his "stories" seem like a cry for help when really he just wanted to share his past with someone so bad. Unfortunate how he met his end, and how no one believed him. To know that you're the only one you can count on.

Golan: Not completely surprised, but slightly creeped out to think about the people I pass every day without taking notice. Could I interact with so many people and not recognise them if they were the same person. Creepy.


Final Line: "We rowed faster."



Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment