Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Spoiler: The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

When I started to listen to this audiobook I was really enjoying the dark twists and turns in the setting as well as the characters lives. Unfortunately, after renewing my audiobook I found the last 3 hours to be less entertaining than the first half of this story. I was a little disappointed in the development of the romance, especially with the love at first sight into that the two characters get.
I was happy to hear that the author did research on the original "Walled City" and the way people lived within its borders. I was grateful that she had done research so she could tell a story that was similar to the original while taking creative license to make her own story.

Characters:
Jin Ling: I thought that her devotion to her sister was so beautiful and well written. I could clearly understand her motivation and her needs to find her sister. I also liked that while she has had to grow a thick skin, she still has adopted a cat to take in. I also enjoyed her blossoming friendship with Dai and her stubbornness.

Dai: I loved his character more before we knew why he thought he was a bad guy. I know it's wrong to hope that someone who says they are not good, to actually not be good, but I just like a good evil character who has done wrong but changes. I also loved his ability to stick up for himself with the Brotherhood.

Mei Yee: I think that she might be the strongest out of all our characters. She stays strong even though she is expected to take men to her bed regardless. And yes she's "lucky" that she only has to take one, but at the same point, it's not consented by her for him to touch her.

Sing: Her death hit me hard, but in the real walled city she would have been one of many. 

Mama Son: I understand her fear of moving on, and not believing that she belonged anywhere but her cage. I wonder about her backstory.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment