Friday, August 3, 2018

Book Review: Four Weeks, Five People by Jennifer Yu


32336077
Title: Four Weeks, Five People
Author: Jennifer Yu
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Mental Health, Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 384
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Year Published: 2017
Format: Hardcover (Own It)
First Line: "A few words of advice for those attending Camp Ugunduzi for the first time:"

"They're more than their problems.

Obsessive-compulsive teen Clarissa wants to get better, if only so her mother will stop asking her if she's okay.

Andrew wants to overcome his eating disorder so he can get back to his band and their dreams of becoming famous.

Film aficionado Ben would rather live in the movies than in reality.

Gorgeous and overly confident Mason things everyone is an idiot.

And Stella just doesn't want to be back for her second summer of wilderness therapy.

As the five teens get to know one another and work to overcome the various disorders that have affected their lives, they find themselves forming bonds they never thought they would, discovering new truths about themselves and actually looking forward to the future."

My Rating: 4/5

I think that this book is an important read for all youth, but I also think that it was just a case of right book wrong time for me. In another time I might have rated this book a 5/5, but it just didn't seem to click with me 100% this time when I read it. That being said, I really loved the characters and the diverse cast. I think it's important to realize with mental illness that it doesn't just have one face, gender or race. It can look different on everyone. 
I also appreciated the idea that it takes time to heal and get better, it's not immediate and not all the characters in the book were magically "cured" which is something I hate.

Thanks for reading,
Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment