Monday, August 13, 2018

Spoiler: The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

This book totally blew me away, I couldn't get over the correlation with my small town and the way Mindy McGinnis really thinks deeper about how deep rape culture runs in our society. It was shocking, but not in the way I expected. The story has a huge trigger warning for violence, rape and sexual assault. The story follows Alex, PeeKay and Jack. All characters who have a different background in this small town. 

Characters:
Alex: I can see how people would be distressed about how she handles her life and people in her home town. I can't blame her, but it was hard to imagine someone who was using their instinct for good, instead of for rape how most of the rest of the town acts. I was surprised to see how her storyline ended, and to see her in the animal shelter broke my heart.

PeeKay: I could relate to her need to break out of the mold and to be more than just the preacher's kid. But at the same time she was so willing to let people use that nickname. At the same time she deserves to be happy, and to find someone who is interested in her not her past or the challenge to get her.

Jake: I was turned off from his point of view at start, but he slowly won me back. He was starting to understand how the women in his life felt throughout their life. I could also understand the need to get out of the small town.

Branley: I tried really hard to understand her and how she felt in society, but she was really frustrating as she just continued to "mess up". I hope that she learned her lesson.

Ray: In my opinion he got what he deserved.

Sarah:  I liked that we got the perspective of someone who wasn't interested in men romantically. It was an important perspective to have

No comments:

Post a Comment