Sunday, August 26, 2018

Spoiler: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

Before I even start this book is very controversial, I'd say extremely. There are warnings I left in the review, but here are some more for assault, abuse, drug use, etc.
This book follows the story of Wavy from the age of eight to her early twenties. It follows her through the life of her parents (drug users and dealers) and how she ends up in a relationship with Kellen, an ex-con who works for her father.

Characters:
Wavy: I can see how she had to grow up so quickly in the situation she was in. It was heartbreaking to watch her be dumped on whoever was most willing to take her, when she was trying to take care of herself. I can also see how Kellen's kindness appealed to her. I'm not saying what happened in their... relationship (??) is ok, but I can understand how it happened.

Donnal: I would be interested in more of his backstory and some of the things I'm sure he saw at the "ranch." Did he ever try anything that he shouldn't have? What did he do to cope?

Kellen: I just wish that he had been able to say no, at least until she was of age. I know that she acted a lot older than she was, but it doesn't make it ok.

Amy: I liked that she showed who she truly was before the book ended, maybe it will shock her mother more than Kellen and Wavy did.

Renee: She was clearly someone who needed Wavy and who Wavy needed in return. I see that they in many ways grew into adults together.

Liam: Sick.

Val: Was she always like this or did the drug use make her who we saw in this novel.


Moments to Remember:

Final Line: "She had grown."


Thanks for reading,
Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment