Sunday, April 5, 2020

Book Review: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke


Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Between, #1)
Title: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Series/Standalone: Between Series (Book #1)
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Horror
Pages: 360
Publisher: Dial
Year Published: 2013
Format: Hardcover Copy (Own it)
First Line: "' You stop fearing the Devil when you're holding his hand.'"

"Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White's sleepy, seaside town... until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet's crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard.

Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?

Violet's grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun,m who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back.

Violet's already so knee-deep in love, she can't see straight. And that's just how River likes it.

Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevive Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying a debut to watch."

My Rating: 3/5

Trigger Warnings for Gore/Violence, self-harm, suicide, to name a few.

I'm going to write this review and be aware that it will make little to no sense. If I was rating based just on my enjoyment I would say that this book was like a 4.5 or a 4 star book. But I know deep down that this book just came to me at the perfect time. I needed something to distract me like a good teen CW show, you know what I mean? And that's exactly what this was for me. Something where the characters were very basic, but the intrigue was based in the town and the background story. I was happy with those two aspects of the story and therefore this story was a 3 star read. I do plan on reading the next one, even though I've heard not great things, I just need something to totally distract me with weird paranormal teen show vibes. 

Thanks for reading,

Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment