Thursday, April 9, 2020

Spoiler: Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake

I haven't written one of these in a long time and this is kind of the space that I used to write my full feelings, spoilers included. It isn't my best writing work but its where I rant or gush about characters and scenes, etc. I just felt that after the conclusion of this series I need to write my feelings based on character dynamics that changed throughout the story.

Do I remember every tiny detail that went on in the series? Of course no because I read these over the course of a year and there was quite a gap for me between the third one and the finale in the series.

This series has such a great setting on the island, shrouded by mist and in more ways than one the mist starts to take on characteristics itself. It is interesting to explore the different realms on the island. It really gives a great impression of how each of our queens is raised and how different they are from each other. The idea of being on a magical, mysterious island is also so intriguing just in concept in all. 

I also think that the political aspect is just amazing in the series, the way these queens are thrown at each other to compete and win. Along with the families that come with this is just an amazing aspect. I hated the Aarons at the beginning of this series, but the more I heard about Natasha the more I started to respect her choices and how she raised Katharine. I only wish that she had helped her through the struggle with the dead queens, but I understand why her character had to be killed in order for other aspects to happen. I think that Mirabella had one of the most interesting childhoods. She was reckless with her abilities and also had a memory of her sibling so in order to understand her, you must understand that at the temple in some ways she was almost worshipped (or that's how I interpreted it).

Let's talk about some (not all ok, I'd be here forever) .... 

Characters:
Mirabella: Her ending wrecked me. I think that she was such a strong person physically as well as emotionally. She was the only one who was willing to put herself in such danger repeatedly to give love to siblings that didn't even remember her childhood. I think that watching her go from graceful Priestess pet to rebel and back to warrior was so interesting to watch. I just wish that she had met a different end, but I do understand why this hand to happen. 


Arsinoe: I'm just going to say it. I wish that she would have taken the throne. I'm under the opinion those who don't want to rule often do the best job. Because they are grateful and understanding to those who they rule over. I do wonder what will happen in her life. Would she end up birthing triplets in the long run?

Katharine: She was absolutely terrifying, but she was also the underdog, so it makes you wonder how she would have lived throughout the storyline without the dead queens. And how much of her personality in the last 3 books were based strictly on those inhabiting her? I think it started slow and built to be out of control. In some ways, I was grateful at how she ended, while in others I was sad.

Juless: I didn't like that she was the one who ended up being the leader. She just didn't seem to have the conviction for it. She didn't stand for what she believed in frequently enough it bothered me. I do like her as a character and Camden as well, I just wish she hadn't gotten the ending she had. I mean she was happy, but not what I wanted personally. 

Pietyr: Who would have thought at the end of this whole thing I would like this asshole? I thought from the start that he was a piece of junk up until the end of Book 3 and through until the tower scene. It was a true turning point for him.

Billy: I hoped for more for him, but throughout the series he had to become the "man" of his house back on the mainland. That being said he did fight beside Arsinoe through so many things that were certainly not his fight. 

Joseph: His death still hurts me. 

Overall this is a great damn series. If you've read it fully let me know your thoughts down below.

Thanks for reading,

Sidny


No comments:

Post a Comment