Friday, June 12, 2020

Review: A Few Red Drops: The Chicago Race Riot of 1919 by Claire Hartfield

25883048


Title: A Few Red Drops: The Chicago Race Riot of 1919
Author: Claire Hartfield
Series/Standalone: Standalone
Genre: Nonfiction, History
Pages: 198
Publisher: Clairon
Year Published: 2017
Format: Audiobook

"On a hot day in July 1919, three black youths went swimming in Lake Michigan, unintentionally floating close to the 'white' beach. An angry white man began throwing stones at the boys, striking and killing one. Rachel conflict on the beach erupted into days of urban violence that shook the city of Chicago to its foundations. This mesmerizing narrative draws on contemporary accounts as it traces the roots of the explosion that had been building for decades in race relations, politics, business, and clashes of culture."

Rating: 4.5/5

I had been on the waitlist for this book for a little while and it's likely going to be one added to the list for reading during this time. I will note that this book isn't own voices, but as it focuses on the history of a riot, and to me (a white woman) appears to be unbias. I'd like to hear thoughts from members of the black community though, especially those interested in history. This book really focuses on the lead up of a riot that began gaining traction years before the actual riot occurred. I think that similar things can be said for current times. While there was a breaking point, tensions had been building for years before protests, and riots occurred. I thought it was a good learning initiative and a short read. The only reason I did dock a star was I felt that some aspects weren't as explored as I would have liked. I would have been interested in more facts regarding police involvement or lack there of.  I will say that it is disheartening to realize in over 100 years we haven't come far at all. The time for change is now!

Thanks for reading,

Sidny

No comments:

Post a Comment